Throat cancer is one of the 10 most common cancers today with a very high mortality rate. On average, about 20-50 people have throat cancer for every 100,000 people with throat cancer (statistics in the epidemiological area). Around this disease, there are many people who wonder if throat cancer is contagious? What causes throat cancer? Let's find answers in the article below.
1. What is throat cancer?
Throat cancer is malignant pathology that appears in the nasopharynx – the highest part of the throat. The disease can occur to anyone, at any age, but the most is still in men between the ages of 30 -60 years. Symptoms of throat cancer include:
- Sore throat accompanied by shortness of breath
- Frequent nasal asphyxiation, nosebleeds
- Tinnitus, ear pain
- Abnormal mass appears in the throat area
Many people often confuse these symptoms with common diseases such as headaches, sore throats, runny nose … As a whole, throat cancer is often detected late. To check if you have throat cancer, you need an entotrosopharyngeal examination and a biosuptic test.
2. Thought the flu turned out to be throat cancer
When newly formed, throat cancer often shows signs of many diseases related to the ear and nose and throat such as flu or neuropathic diseases, blood vessels. Patients often subjectively ignore the early symptoms of the disease because they believe that they only have the common flu.
First, you find sore throat, difficulty swallowing. Difficulty hearing one ear or both. You may also have nosebleeds, headaches, blurred vision, sneezing, tinnitus, headache, prolonged hoarseness. If the above symptoms last 3 weeks without remission, it is necessary to see a doctor for cancer screening.
When the cancer develops in the final stages, you often suffer from nasal asphyxiation with bleeding, pus in the nose; lymphadenopathy at the corner of the jaw can senses; or paralysis of the cranial nerves with signs such as blindness, numbness of the face, crooks of the tongue, swallowing choke …
3. Eating more fermented foods such as pickles, salted coffee increases the risk of throat cancer
To answer the question of whether throat cancer is contagious, first of all we need to understand what is the cause of the disease? Currently, the causes of throat cancer have not been found correctly and specifically, but they have found factors that increase the risk of this disease such as:
- People with HPV virus and EBV virus
- People who eat a lot of fermented foods: Pickles, pickles
Genetic factors are also considered one of the causes of throat cancer. Many studies show that people with relatives (parents, siblings…) with throat cancer are at higher risk than the average person.
4. Is throat cancer contagious?
With the danger and increasing popularity of throat cancer, many people are concerned that the disease can be spread from person to person. So is contact with someone with throat cancer contagious? The answer is no.
Throat cancer is not an infectious disease, so there is no possibility of direct infection. The disease can only be transmitted indirectly through HPV virus – a virus that increases the risk of disease. HPV virus can be transmitted through sexual contact with a sick person, oral sex.
5. How to prevent throat cancer
Although throat cancer is not directly transmitted nor has you found the exact cause of the disease, you can prevent it with the following notes:
- Definitive treatment of diseases related to the ears – nose – throat, do not let the disease repeat again and again
- Proper mode mode of living, working and rest
- Limit the intake of fermented foods such as: Salted coffee, pickles
- Limit fast food, food containing many preserv preserves
- Limit alcohol, beer, tobacco. Do not use stimulants
- Listen to your body for early detection of abnormal signs
- Regular medical examination every 6 – 12 months
To detect and diagnose throat cancer in a timely manner, in order to take appropriate treatment. Share99 International Health Hub has an early screening and detection package for throat, lower throat, and orealcancer, including a full range of necessary services to help detect throat cancer early. Detection of other abnormalities in the area of the arch – lower throat – pharynx.
The following risk subjects should be screening for cancer early so that they can be detected in a timely manner:
- Customers with a family history of throat cancer,
- Customers smoke, drink a lot of alcohol.
- Customers have frequent abnormal symptoms: nosebleeds, headache, tinnitus, nasal congestion, neck lymphadenopathy …
- Customers in need should have regular check-up to screen for throat cancer.
For more information about Cancer Screening at Share99 and other services, you can contact HERE
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- How to detect throat cancer
- Benign throat tumor recognition
- What are sore throats, coughs, hoarseness?